Saturday, December 17, 2011

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab Hair Gloss

I can't wear any makeup right now because something's going on with my eyes, so instead, I want to show you one of the things I've been using daily for the past month or so.


Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (through their sister site, the Black Phoenix Trading Post) has released an all-new line of hand-made hair gloss


I first tried the Snake Oil Hair Gloss when I was in California this summer, when I was visiting Dark Delicacies, where they had prototypes out for testing. I was so head-over-heels about it that I couldn't wait until they released the new product.


These are the four that I bought:



I wanted to take a nice photo of my bottles, but within 2 minutes of receiving the package, I lost one cap and it looks like I put another on crooked! That's me -- always a day late and a dollar short. Ha! :D

This is the description of the hair gloss formula from the Lab's site. I'll post all of the scent descriptions below that.
We have combined Tahitian monoi, camelina oil, argan oil, and karanja oil to give your mane a gleaming finishing shine without leaving it gloopy, weighted-down, or greasy. Camelina oil provides a protective coating for the hair follicles, argan oil nourishes stressed hair, enhances elasticity, and repairs cellular damage to the hair strand itself, and a touch of Monoi oil adds moisture and enhances softness.
Your hair will be silkier, shinier, glossier, more vibrant, and frizz-free.
Black Phoenix’s Hair Gloss is paraben and sulfate free, and contains no petro-chemicals, no GMOs, and no triclosan.
Our hair gloss has a six-month shelf life.
Handmade by Black Phoenix. As always, no animals were harmed during the creation of this product, and all products were tested on friends and family.
Please exercise common sense when using our HAIR GLOSS: do not eat, do not snort, do not drink, do not pour into eyes, etc.
If irritation occurs, discontinue use immediately.
Cyclomethicone, botanisil, Vitamin E, argan oil, Tahitian monoi oil, camelina oil, and karanja oil.
The hair gloss has been released in five different scents:

  • Snake Oil
  • White Tea and Sage
  • Honey
  • Frankincense Clove
  • Fig and White Sandalwood


Snake Oil Hair Gloss
is scented with BPAL's trademark (and trademarked!) scent, Snake Oil, which is described thusly: "By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla."
I love Snake Oil perfume oil, but it doesn't work well with my skin chemistry, so I am ecstatic when the Lab releases other products with the scent. Their Snake Oil Soap is my favorite soap ever, and the Snake Oil Bath Oil is so amazing that I stocked up when it was still Limited Edition. (It has since been released as a general catalogue bath oil. YAY!)

White Tea and Sage Hair Gloss smells light, fresh, herbal, and summery. It's the one I'm using the least right now because it seems like it would be more appropriate for spring/summer wear.

Honey Hair Gloss smells sweet and gooey and delicious. Many of BPAL's honey notes are unwearable with my particular skin chemistry, so I was, again, excited to be able to wear a honey scent, just not on my skin. 

Frankincense Clove Hair Gloss is by far my favorite and the one I reach for most often. It's got the dry gritty resinous scent of frankincense combined with the spicy sweetness of clove. I put it on my hair the other day before a quick run to the post office and when I got to the counter, the lady helping me said, "Oh! You smell wonderful -- like Christmas!" It really is an amazing fragrance. 

I didn't buy the Fig and White Sandalwood Hair Gloss simply because I don't care for BPAL's fig fragrance!

Even though they're beautifully scented, once the scent dries down in my hair, it's subtle and not overwhelming at all. The lady at the post office commented on my scent because I'd literally put it in five minutes before, but after about 15-20 minutes, the scent typically settles down and becomes more of a personal thing -- not everyone around you will know your hair is scented unless you stick your head in their faces.

I don't actually care for the sprayer. It would be much better if it misted the hair, but as it sprays instead of mists, it doesn't distribute the oil evenly if you spray directly on your head. In fact, one of the first times I used a hair gloss, I got a money shot right in the side of my head! Since then, I've sprayed 1-2 sprays into my hands, rubbed them together, then smoothed the hair gloss onto my hair, which seems to distribute the oil evenly.

The product really is light and does not make the hair remotely greasy. It definitely gives my hair a healthy shine, smooths away the frizzies that I inevitably get with curly hair, and I feel like my hair is actually more moisturized and healthier because of the lovely moisturizing oils in it. 

I'm definitely a fan of this product. Frankincense Clove Hair Gloss will be used more quickly than the others, and I will definitely be ordering more when it's gone.

BPAL's Hair Gloss is on the pricey side: $30 for a 4 oz bottle, and for Snake Oil Hair Gloss, it's $45 for a 4 oz. bottle.

This typically would completely turn me off of a product, but these hair glosses are so good, and they last for such a long time, that I can splurge again when I need to buy more. It's worth it. The oils are expensive if you buy them on their own, especially argan oil, but they're so moisturizing that when I'm done applying to my hair, I rub them into my hands and cuticles, for healthy skin and a great scent, so I feel like I'm getting the best and most use out of the product that I can.

Also, Puddin', who runs the Trading Post, typically sends fun extras in packages -- BPAL imps, room spray samples, post cards, stickers, etc., so I feel like I'm getting even more bang for my buck because of that, too. However, extra goodies aren't guaranteed. I've ordered from the Trading Post many, many times, and sometimes, I do get a box containing only what I've paid for and nothing more, so if you order from them, don't expect extras, just be happy if you do get them. 

This is a product I highly recommend. I will be buying more and I hope you will, too! If you've tried or want to try BPAL's Hair Gloss, I'd love to hear what you think about it!

3 comments:

  1. I've been using the hair glosses since they were released and think I am a fan for life. My hair has never been smoother, softer, or more manageable. My favorite is the White Tea and Sage gloss and I blew through my 1oz decant in about a month's time and just ordered a full size bottle. I've been using my decant of Frankincense and Clove gloss for the last couple weeks since the clove in it does remind me so much of the holidays. I can't wait to see what other scents come out for the hair gloss in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to HAVE to check this stuff out! Thanks so much for the review! I am a BPAL virgin because the site has been pretty intimidating to me. Way too many fragrances. Maybe the hair gloss would he a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, I'm glad to hear you're having such a great experience with them, too!

    Peach, I know they're pricey, but I just can't recommend them enough. My skin/hair doesn't respond to most run-of-the-mill oils, but it's responding amazingly well to the oils in this formula. I've never had so many consistently good hair days as I've had since I started using this product. That alone makes it worth the cost!

    ReplyDelete