Saturday, December 3, 2011

Scaredy Cat Cosmetics - Swatches, Review & LOTD

Hi! I'm sorry I haven't been around all week. It's been a busy one.


I did some pretty heavy shopping on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I completely forgot that I'd placed an order from Scaredy Cat Cosmetics until it arrived yesterday. It wasn't one of my pre-planned orders. I saw someone mention the shop in a Facebook group I'm in, and when I saw their sale, I couldn't resist -- I received 15 samples for $13, including shipping! Turnaround time was exactly one week from date of order to date of receipt, which is quite good.


I was hooked by the pretty eyeshadow colors, but what reeled me in was the packaging. Scaredy Cat samples come in the cutest packaging I've ever seen from an indie cosmetics company. Look at how adorable they are! (Click on the photos for larger image.)



I figured even if I didn't like the shadows, they would look super cute all lined up next to each other on a shelf.

Each of the samples comes individually bagged with a label that has the name of the shadow and ingredient list on it. 


What I don't like is that once you remove the sample from the baggie, there is no name of the shadow on the sample. There is only a sticker with the company name and logo. However, I'm used to labeling everything from my spice containers to my perfume oil lids to my gel liner lids, so I whipped out my little label maker, and put names on each sample.



The only other problem I had is that when I pulled out the stoppers of each of these shadows, no matter how slowly and carefully I tried to ease it out, there was a tiny pop when the seal was broken, and a poof of shadow went flying up and all over everything: Granted, this could be because I live at a high altitude and pressure built up during shipping from a lower altitude. But if you order from Scaredy Cat, just be aware this could happen. 


They're also not the best containers for accessing the contents with anything other than a small, pointed brush. But, the packaging is so cute that I was perfectly happy to tap a little bit out onto a piece of paper on my desk in order to use the shadow. 

The shadows are all really shimmery, nicely pigmented, and several have a lovely duochrome sheen. 

And now it's time for swatches! The top row is over Meow i-prime. The bottom row is applied over bare skin. 

Following are the shades, from left to right:  Flounce Cat, Love Stinks, Sanguine, Dee's Nuts, Phoenix Tears, Rose Gold, Don't Be Koi, Hera, Orbital, Draconia, Tudor, Peacock Blood, Mythic, Smooze, Robin the Cradle.

With flash, blurred to show shimmer and sheen:
With flash:

Natural light with flash fill:

Natural light, no flash:

Natural light, no flash. L-R: Flounce Cat, Love Stinks, Sanguine, Dee's Nuts

Natural light, no flash. L-R: Phoenix Tears, Rose Gold, Don't Be Koi, Hera 

Natural light, no flash. L-R: Orbital, Draconia, Tudor, Peacock Blood

Natural light, no flash. L-R: Mythic, Smooze, Robin the Cradle

When I applied them to my primed lid, they went on as smooth as silk. I didn't need to apply much shadow at all to get a good layer of color. They blend gorgeously. 


Ultimately, I love these shadows. The packaging is so adorable and unique that I can dismiss the inconveniences of the packaging. The samples are extremely generous for the price. They're good quality and wear beautifully. I am a fan!


Here's the look I created today using Phoenix Tears, Don't Be Koi, Rose Gold, Dee's Nuts, Hera, and Orbital. Of course the look is much more shimmery in person. 







FACE:
Coastal Scents Camo Quad Light - 2 lightest shades under eyes
Coastal Scents Camo Quad Color Corrector - yellow under eyes, green to cover redness on face
Sephora Mineral Foundation in Claire Light 21
BareEscentuals Mineral Veil
Meow Mona Lisa Masterpiece Blush

EYES:
Tarte Natural Lift primer
MAC Brule on brow bone
Scaredy Cat Rose Gold on outer 1/3 of lid and in crease
Scaredy Cat Don't Be Koi on center of lid and above crease
Scaredy Cat Phoenix Tears on inner 1/3 of lid
Scaredy Cat Dee's Nuts very lightly placed on outer lid and slightly into crease
Scaredy Cat Hera beneath lower lashes
Scaredy Cat Oribtal lightly placed beneath Hera
Wet'n'Wild ColorIcon eye pencil in Copper on lower waterline
MAC Blacktrack Fluidline lining upper lashes
Fresh Supernova mascara - 1 coat
Fresh Thunderbird mascara - 1 coat
Brows - I honestly don't remember what I used. I used so many different things in an attempt to fill in the missing section of brow!

LIPS:
Morgana Cryptoria 24 K Pumpkin, lightly applied and well-blotted
MAC Astral lipstick

9 comments:

  1. I really like both this look and the packaging it comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That packaging is so cute! The colors are amazing. This company is definitely on my "must try" list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I <3 her packaging! I ordered from Kelly awhile ago and then reordered on BF because I couldn't resist the sale. I decanted all my sample vials into 5g jars to make it easier to use them but I still kept all the pretty little vials!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also ordered from Scaredy Cat on Black Friday, I had received them yesterday. Love all the colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the vials are so cute aren't they! i agree about the labels. i have no idea what most colors are now because i messed up the zip lock bags while taking the vials out to take photos. i really should've thought about labeling before i took them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It definitely took me some time to do the labeling, but I'm so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about these shadows, they are crazy cute and the shadows themselves are pretty impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the swatches. I am just about to order from them and I did a quick google search to make sure I'm not entering a land mine, and yours came up first. LOL that I already follow your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fabulous! I really like them and think you should order! If I had some spare cash on hand, I'd take advantage of her sale going on right now, too.

      Delete