Saturday, January 14, 2012

Beauty Army Box Reveal and Review

Hi guys! A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to place an order through the Beauty Army website and become one of the very first people to ever receive a Beauty Army box! The Beauty Army box is a monthly subscription box similar to Birchbox. You fill out a profile of the type of beauty issues/concerns/interests you have, so that your samples (or full size products) will be the most beneficial for your use. The thing that's unique -- and that I love -- about Beauty Army is that based upon your profile, you're provided a selection of samples you may be interested in, and you can choose the six of them that you are most interested in receiving. When signing up for the first Beauty Army box, I selected the six products I wanted to receive and then sat back and patiently waited.


I honestly don't recall what day I placed my order, but I did receive a confirmation of it on January 1. It shipped January 8, and I received it yesterday, January 13. 


Here are pictures of my box, the contents, and in-action photos of a couple of the eye products.


Here it is!

Is it silly that I'm almost as excited about the box as I am about what's in it? I LOVE pink camo!!!

Here are all the goodies! Can't wait to pull out the tissue paper and see what's in there (even though I picked them out, it's still like opening a present on Christmas).

And here are my goodies!
2. Boo-Boo Cover Up (see in-action photos further down)
5. MyFace Cosmetics Blingtone Eyeshadow in Morococo [full size!] (see in-action photos further down)

Here are some photos of some of these items in action, as well as my thoughts on them. I have used/tested four of the six items so far.



This is the LaRocca body polish. The very first thing I noticed was the scent -- it's very, very strongly scented. The scrubby bits are very fine and gentle. I used some of it on my arms, chest, and shoulders, and it exfoliated away the dead skin perfectly. Based on the true-to-life scent, I was concerned that there might be real pumpkin pulp in it, as I'm allergic to it. However, it's a pumpkin fruit extract that didn't encourage an allergic reaction at all -- neither did the cinnamon oil in it. 

I love eyeshadows, I love bling, and I love cocoa colors, so I was most excited about this shadow. This is a full size shadow that retails at $20! The whole box was $12, so this makes it perfectly worth it.  

The Shea Terra Black Soap is... really black. It has the consistency of molasses and smells like my dad used to smell when he'd come inside after working under the car. It's not the most pleasant scent, but it's subtle and not entirely unpleasant, either. The way this soap works is you massage it on to your skin in circular motions and then let it sit for 5-10 minutes. There is a bit of a tingling sensation as the microdermabrasion activity takes effect, and while it didn't really hurt, I don't know that I'd recommend it for sensitive skin or for daily use. My skin felt amazing afterward -- much softer and smoother than it's ever felt when using just my Clarisonic. If I don't have any negative skin reactions to it after regular use, I will be sorely tempted to buy the full size product.

I forgot to take a photo of the actual Boo-Boo Cover Up product. It looks like and has the consistency of a thick, creamy concealer. I don't have any boo-boos to cover up right now (yay!), so I decided to try it out as an under eye concealer. Below are before/after photos. 

This is my eye/under eye before using the Boo-Boo Cover Up. I was really hoping for something that would not only conceal the discoloration of my under eye circles, but also the big freckle at the lower center part of the under eye circle.

This photo was taken after applying the Boo-Boo Cover Up under my eye area. The cover up is thick and creamy, and I thought it did a great job of evening out my under eye skin tone. However, that blasted freckle is still visible, but it's concealed more than it is with every other concealer I've ever used. For this photo, I didn't set it with any powder, but after I took the photo, I set it with some transparent powder, and the concealer is still going strong 9 hours later. I need to use up some of my stash of concealers that I've collected in my attempt to find one I like, and when they're gone, I'll likely buy this. It's $20.85 for a full size, which is less expensive than the next-best concealer I've used so far. And if it works for other boo-boos, then that's all the better! (Eww, excuse the eye booger!)

In the below photos, not only am I wearing the Boo-Boo Cover Up under my eye, but I also applied the MyFace Blingtone eyeshadow as a single-color wash. This first photo was taken in indirect sunlight: 


This second photo was taken with flash:

This third photo is blurred so you can see the sparkle.
I really like this eye shadow. It's not highly pigmented, but it went on smoothly and evenly. I had to brush on quite a bit to get some color in addition to the sparkle. What it's lacking in pigment it definitely makes up for in bling. It's SUPER SUPER sparkly, and I adore it. This color "Morococo" (no, I did not misspell "Morocco") is a gorgeous champagne color (not cocoa, as I expected) that would likely look good on almost every skin tone and color. 




Overall, I'm very happy with my Beauty Army box. I am looking forward to using the two other products I haven't tried yet. These are all products that fit my beauty needs, and are all brands and products I had never tried before. I think it's an excellent value, it's presented really well, I absolutely adore the pink camo box, and  am happy with the whole thing. The one thing I dislike is that the box doesn't include a description of any of the items. With my Birchbox, I rely on the information card that comes with it, as I'm checking everything out. With the Beauty Army box, I keep having to look up the product details online. However, since every box is different, as everyone selects their own products, it would be hard to include a card. But the inclusion of even a small slip of paper describing each product would be very valuable to me.


Beauty Army did a great job with their launch box. I will absolutely maintain my subscription and am already looking forward to the next box. 

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a great box! I haven't been too excited about what I've seen in people's Birchboxes... LOVE the eye shadow! Great color! And the boo boo cover up looks & sounds great also. Can't wait to see what your box looks like next month! I may have to subscribe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great deal. I love that you actually have some say in what you get. I might have to subscribe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great- such a good idea to include personal preference

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like seeing the shadow in action. I definitely will not be wearing this one in the day!

    ReplyDelete