Monday, May 21, 2012

Darling Girl Night Owl Satin Stain Preview and Review

I am so excited to share with you a preview of Darling Girl Cosmetics' Satin Stain, a soon-to-be released glossy lip stain product. The color that Susan at Darling Girl sent me is "Night Owl", which is a gorgeous, bright (but not shocking), violet-purple with blue undertones. The Satin Stain is packaged in a 5.9 ml tube with a doe-foot applicator.


The ingredient list is: Mango butter, fractionated coconut oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E, carnauba wax. May also contain: Castor oil, mica, titanium dioxide, and FD&C color.

I picked the three purple lip products in my collection that seemed to be in the closest color family to this color, so you could see them together for comparison purposes.

Top Row, L-R: MAC Riveting Rose lipstick, MAC Odyssey lipstick, MAC Heroine lipstick
Bottom Row: Darling Girl Cosmetics Night Owl Satin Stain 


Below are photos of the Night Owl Satin Stain on my lips:




It applies very smoothly, evenly, and opaquely. It doesn't take much to get full color and full coverage. Once it's on my lips, it feels incredibly smooth and silky. So many stains will tint my lips, but leave them feeling dry or tacky. The Satin Stains are a glossy stain that leave my lips feeling like they have a lightweight gloss or balm on them. They don't feel dry or tacky at all. They feel moisturized and very supple.

As for the "stain" aspect of this product, I don't find it to have the long-lasting stain effects of some of the other stains I've used in the past (Philosophy The Supernatural, Benefit Benetint, and Fyrinnae's Lip Lustres), but it is by far the silkiest, smoothest stain I've used, and I'm happy to sacrifice a little color-wear time if the product helps keep my lips moisturized.

On Sunday, I applied the Satin Stain and then I ate lunch. I wasn't trying to keep the color on my lips. In fact, I was enjoying my leftover enchiladas so much while reading some online makeup drama, that I completely forgot about my lips. As soon as I finished my lunch, I took the following photos:



As you can see, I lost some of the color, but there was still enough on my lips that I didn't feel at all like my lips were naked or dry. I was happy with the amount of color left on my lips after eating a meal.

The only real downside to this product is the feathering. I do have fine lines around the edges of my lips, and certain products cause bleeding or feathering. Even when I applied a clear lip liner around the outside of my lips, I still experienced some feathering. However, it wasn't the worst I've experienced, and a quick clean-up around the edges of my lips with a cosmetic sponge every now and then seemed to keep the feathering under control for the most part. I really would prefer not to have any feathering, of course.

I do not know what price Darling Girl will be charging for these Satin Stains, but all of her other products are  very reasonably priced, so I can only assume this one will be, too.

I like the product enough that when the Satin Stains are released, I will purchase more if the colors appeal to me. I will work around the feathering issue as best as I can. If I had no problems with feathering, I would give this product a full five stars, but the feathering is enough of an issue for me, that I'll give it four-and-three-quarter stars instead.

Are you looking forward to this product and do you think you'll buy it when it's released?


* This product was a gift from Darling Girl Cosmetics. All opinions are my own.

2 comments: