Sunday, May 27, 2012

Zoya Pinta & Kendal Gradient Manicure

All the cool kids are doing gradient manis these days, so I decided to try my hand at it. Yeah, my first attempt was a complete disaster. Not only was it the second messiest nail polish mess I've ever had to clean up, but I discovered the hard way that my cosmetic sponges were super cheap and contributed to an even worse mess.

So the next day, I tried again. This time, rather than using my cheap cosmetic sponges, I grabbed a new kitchen sponge and cut it up. I wasn't thinking about the fact that the holes in a kitchen sponge are much, much larger than the holes in a cosmetic sponge.

So my mani turned out like this:


It's not remotely what I was trying for, but I still really like how it turned out. Someone said it reminds them of storm clouds, and I can definitely see that. I also really like how complimentary the colors are that I chose -- Zoya's Pinta (darker purple) and Kendal (lilac). 

Here are the two colors in their bottles. I didn't realize until I was typing this blog post that both nail polish lids have nail polish all over them. I'm telling you, my first attempt at this mani was such an insanely crazy mess, that I will probably be finding surprise splotches of nail polish in random places for a long time to come. 


Have you ever done a gradient mani? How did it go? Do you find they get easier with practice?

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! very very nice!!
    i'd like to try, but i think it's too diffult for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's actually really easy. The hardest part is cleaning up the nail polish from around the fingernails afterward.

    ReplyDelete