Monday, June 4, 2012

Black-and-Tan Gradient Mani

Last week I posted pics of my first attempt at a gradient mani. It wasn't what I had in mind because of the type of sponge I used, but I still liked it. A few days ago, I tried a black-and-tan gradient mani, this time using a much better sponge. I can't put into words how much I love how it turned out. It looks so classy and sophisticated. I will likely do this one again sometime when I'm dressing up, whether it's for a night out with my husband, for a party, or even for a more business-professional work event.

Here is a photo taken with flash the first night I did the mani:


Here is a photo taken in indirect natural light the next day. I was already having some pretty bad shrinkage problems because I used Seche Vite as a top coat. I love Seche Vite, but sometimes it spoils a mani so quickly! I did this mani on Wednesday night, and by Friday evening when I removed it, it was looking pretty ratty, partly due to my oily nail beds, but partly due to the SV shrinkage problem.


For this mani, I followed these steps: 

1. Applied 1 coat of Sephora Hardening & Strengthening Serum as base coat
2. Applied 1 coat of China Glaze Fast Track over entire nail
3. Painted a stripe of CG Fast Track on the concave part of a Super Blender Elliptical Sponge.
4. Painted a stripe of Sinful Colors Black on Black immediately above, and overlapping, the CG Fast Track on the sponge.
5. Rolled the painted sponge over my fingernail. 
6. Repeat steps 3-5 as needed for each nail until full coverage is achieved.
7. Two coats of Seche Vite top coat. 



1 comment: