Saturday, September 1, 2012

Maybelline Downtown Brown - like MAC Club for Nails!

I am head-over-heels in love with Maybelline's Limited Edition Color Show nail polish, "Downtown Brown." I thought it looked familiar, then I read on Nouveau Cheap that it's the polish equivalent of MAC's "Club" eyeshadows, and I realized that is exactly why it looked familiar. I love MAC's "Club" eyeshadow, so it makes sense I would love this "Downtown Brown" polish.

I don't think I've ever purchased a Maybelline polish before, so that's new for me. I love this formula and the color. It's a tad bit on the sheer side, so I couldn't get away with just two coats and had to apply a third coat. The polish goes on smoothly and evenly. I applied it indoors, and initially it looked like a nice dark cocoa brown with a hint of teal blue duochrome.

And then I went outside. I was absolutely blown away by the amount of amazing teal duo shimmer in this color. I took off my glasses so I could see it better, and couldn't stop flashing my nails this way and that way in the sun.

Naturally -- and sadly -- my camera did not pick up the amazing peacock-bright flashes of blue in this .nail color, but I did my best.

The bottles are small at only 0.23 fluid ounces, but I believe they're BOGO 50% at Walgreens right now. I'm going back for another one or two bottles because, as I told my husband, this is likely to be my favorite nail polish for autumn. (His response: "They all look the same to me." Silly boys!)

Anyway, here are swatches!

The following four photos were taken in direct sunlight without flash:





The following three photos were taken in indirect sunlight without flash:





The following two photos were taken indoors, with flash:



Hopefully you can see why I love this color. I've never been a big fan of brown nail polish, but this one has won me over. It's just so perfect for fall!

To achieve this nail look, I used three coats of Maybelline Color Show "Downtown Brown" plus one coat of China Glaze Fast Track top coat.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, I just posted about this earlier today, too! It's such a gorgeous color. I'm not big on browns, either, but this is definitely a not-to-be-missed shade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love it, too! It's such a pretty color that I've already gone back and bought a backup bottle!

      Delete
  2. Such an unusual color. You've sold me! : )

    ReplyDelete