Saturday, January 5, 2013

Make Up Forever Holodiam vs. TKB Trading Iridescent Powder

I have some sparkle for you!


What is this magical sparkle, you ask? Read on!

It all started back in late-October... or was it early-November? Either way, I was at Sephora and was lured in by the sparkle of Make Up Forever's Limited Edition Holodiam Powder. The Holodiam Powder is described as "a loose powder that catches the light in a glittering rainbow or iridescent colors...color becomes light, and even black sparkles...With its multifaceted mother-of-pearl flecks, the Holodiam Powder creates a 3D holographic effect. As the angle of refraction varies, it reflects three different colors in a shimmering play of light. The intense, shifting colors produced by this optical effect give the eyes a spectacular holographic look."

Sounds pretty awesome, right? Well, it is. It is even more amazing than it sounds. I saw one of the SA's at Sephora wearing something spectacularly sparkly on her eyelids, and as soon as she told me what it was, I had to have a jar of it...even at $25 for the little itty bitty teeny weeny 1 gram (0.035 oz.) jar.

I purchased #303 White, which the website states has gold, green, and blue highlights. I also wanted Plum (turquoise, violet, and pink highlights), but at $25 a pop, I just couldn't justify it.

I was so impressed by the sparkliness that I put a little in a sample baggie to give to my friend, Blix, since she's pretty much the Queen Of Glitter. She looked at it and said it looked to her like the TKB Trading iridescent powders. She gave me some samples of of her TKB Moon Dusts and TKB Star Bites, and then together, we ordered samples of TKB's Mermaid Collection.

Blix was right. The MUFE Holodiam Powder is pretty much the same thing as the TKB Moon Dusts and Star Bites. The TKB Mermaid Collection offers a similar effect, but the particle size is significantly larger, whereas TKB's Moon Dusts, TKB's Star Bites, and MUFE's Holodiam Powder are all a similar particle size.

I decided to swatch all of them together -- the MUFE Holodiam Powder, the TKB Moon Dusts, the TKB Star Bites, and the TKB Mermaid Collection. Here is a series of photos. I used different lighting and camera settings to try to capture the sparkle and shiftiness of the colors. My apologies that the swatches are crooked on my arm. I tried to hard to make them look nice, and they still came out wonky!

The top of each color is over Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy and the dark base at the bottom of each color is NYX Black Bean Jumbo Pencil.

Left to Right: TKB Shanira Sun, TKB Cherika Moon, TKB Indu Rose, TKB Crescent Crimson, TKB Lavender Luz, TKB Luna Blue, TKB Marinda Star, TKB Aisha Gold, MUFE Holodiam Powder #303 White, TKB Gold Dust, TKB Silver White, TKB Blue Diamond, TKB Fairy Violet, TKB Siren Red, TKB Seawitch Green


 
 
 


Blurry photo shows more of the awesome sparkle!


Bottom to Top: TKB Shanira Sun, TKB Cherika Moon, TKB Indu Rose, TKB Crescent Crimson, TKB Lavender Luz, TKB Luna Blue, TKB Marinda Star, TKB Aisha Gold, MUFE Holodiam Powder #303 White, TKB Gold Dust, TKB Silver White, TKB Blue Diamond, TKB Fairy Violet, TKB Siren Red, TKB Seawitch Green



I put the MUFE Holodiam Powder in the middle so you could see how similar it really is to these TKB iridescent powders. It blends right in with all of them in every way.

I was curious to see if I could dupe the MUFE Holodiam Powder #303. I took a small scoop of TKB Shanira Sun and a small scoop of TKB Luna Blue, put them in a 5 gram jar, shook it really well, then applied the two colors side-by-side on the back of my hand. The following photos were also taken under different lighting and camera settings.

Left: MUFE Holodiam #303
Right: Blend of TKB Shanira Sun & TKB Luna Blue



 

You can see that I didn't quite match it. However, it took me all of about 30 seconds to toss these in a jar, without measuring beyond trying to eyeball a fairly event amount of each color. Imagine what I could have done if I'd actually spent time to figure out the correct ratio of Shanira Sun to Luna Blue; I'm guessing I could have easily come up with a dead-on dupe. You can probably understand why I'm kicking myself for spending $25 for the MUFE Holodiam Powder.

I really wanted the MUFE Holodiam in Plum, and now I know I can duplicate it myself! And do you know what's really amazing about the TKB iridescent powders? The price.

Remember the MUFE Holodiam Powder is $25 for 1 gram.

Samples of the TKB Star Bites are $2.95 each. The samples are ~2.5 grams each.

Samples of the TKB Moon Dusts are $2.95 each or all five for $12. The samples are ~2.5 grams each. 

Samples of the TKB Mermaid Collection are $1.50 each or all six for $7. The samples are 2.5 grams each. 

Long story short: At the $2.95 TKB price, you get 150% more product for 88% less than the cost of the MUFE Holodiam Powder. And you can mix and match and make your own colors. And if you spill some, you won't cry (like I wanted to tonight, when I was swatching and spilled my MUFE Holodiam Powder -- not because I can't dupe it, but because it was too dang expensive to spill!)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out! I won't get suckered in by the MUFE sparkles again! And I'm going to have a blast playing with all of my TKB iridescent powders to see what new combos and colors I can create.

4 comments:

  1. Omg, I need all the sparkles. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I knew I needed to place a tkb order!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them!

    Lala, www.lipstickonyourpillow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete