Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Darling Girl Cosmetics' "Oh The Horror!" Swatches

I purchased some of these items and others were PR samples.


I’m going to tell you a secret that I’ve never told anyone else. 

<whispers> As much as I love Darling Girl Cosmetics, I wasn’t looking forward to this year’s “Oh The Horror!” Halloween collection when I first started seeing sneak preview swatches and color descriptions!!! </whisper>

Alright, so that may not be the most scandalous secret, but I still feel guilty because I should have known they'd be awesome, since Darling Girl never releases anything that's not awesome!

The reason I didn't think I'd like this collection because a significant portion of it is made up of colors that are “blackened” or that have black mica bases, and I’ve never, ever liked eyeshadow colors that are blackened, and another portion is made up of bright colors, which I'm still trying to get used to wearing, since I naturally gravitate toward neutrals. 

But then I received some PR samples, and liked loved them enough to buy the rest of the collection, too (except, somehow, the shades Bathed in Blood and Pumpkinhead must have slipped out of my shopping cart, because I managed to get all of the colors in this collection except for those two!) Through the process of experimenting with the colors in this collection, I discovered something about my taste in makeup that I didn’t know about before: I may not like blackened eyeshadow shades, but I actually LOVE them when I use them over a black eyeshadow base or black eyelid primer!!!

Since so many of the shadows in this collection change their appearance significantly when applied over a black base, I have swatched every color in this collection over both Darling Girl Glitter Glue and over Tick:Tock Cosmetics’ Infinity Eye Shadow Base in Black Hole.*

First up are, from left to right: Attack of the 50 Foot Woman/Attack of the 50 Foot Woman on black, Bad Ash/Bad Ash on black, Boogieman/Boogieman on black, Camp Blood/Camp Blood on black, and The Count/The Count on black.



The second set of swatches are, from left to right: Creature from the Black Lagoon/Creature from the Black Lagoon on black, Death by Unicorn/Death by Unicorn on black, Frankenstein/Frankenstein on black, Go Go Godzilla/Go Go Godzilla on black, and Heads Will Roll/Heads Will Roll on black. 



The next set of swatches are, from left to right: Here's Johnny!/Here's Johnny! on black, I Am Pain/I Am Pain on black, The Invisible Man/The Invisible Man on black, King Kong/King Kong on black, and Lonely Assassins/Lonely Assassins on black. 



The last set of swatches are, from left to right: Monster Within/Monster Within on black, The Mummy/The Mummy on black, Ripley's Cat/Ripley's Cat on black, Seven Days Later/Seven Days Later on black, and Sleep Kills/Sleep Kills on black. 



As you can see, some of the colors—particularly those that are “blackened,” like Creature From The Black Lagoon, Here's Johnny!, Monster Within, and King Konglook slightly muddy when swatched over Glitter Glue alone, but become incredibly intense and vibrant when swatched over a black base.

Some of my favorite colors from this collection are Creature from the Black Lagoon and Here’s Johnny! because not only are they gorgeous colors (particularly over a black base), but because they are off-the-hook sparkly. I also love the beautiful neutral duochrome of Frankenstein. However, my hands-down favorite shadow from the entire collection is Bad Ash. I don’t know what it is about that shade, but it's badass.

Here are some looks I've done using some of these colors:


Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman (yellow), Go Go Godzilla (green), King Kong (blue)

Go, Go Godzilla used as liner

Creature From The Black Lagoon (blue) [along with Meow WTF (purple) and DGC Teenager Dream (pink)]

Frankenstein (lid), Sleep Kills (outer V/crease)

Heads Will Roll (inner lid), Here's Johnny! (outer lid) [along with DGC Shy Violet to highlight]

I Am Pain (lid), Lonely Assassins (outer corner), Death By Unicorn (crease). 
I posted more about this look here


Do you have any favorites from Darling Girl’s Oh The Horror! collection?



* I photographed all of these swatches in several different lighting environments, but I have only included the swatches that were taken in natural lighting with flash because they provided the most accurate color and sparkle. 

10 comments:

  1. I have a few of these shades and my faves are Invisible Man and Frankenstein, super gorgeous! I love all your looks, you're awesome <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, thank you! Frankenstein is definitely the color from this collection that I've worn the most since its an interesting, but work-safe neutral.

      Delete
  2. Will you do my shadow next time? These DG shades are totally hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how to do someone else's makeup, but it would be fun to practice on you!

      Delete
  3. I love all your looks and really want I Am Pain now! I only picked up Attack of the 50 Foot Woman but I looooooove it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robyn. I Am Pain is such a versatile color and I think you'll love it.

      Delete
  4. Love that you've posted looks using many of these shades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cin. I've been using the colors from this collection a lot!

      Delete
  5. Got my order yesterday! Don't own the whole collection but my top favourite right now are Here's Johnny, The Invisible Man, The Count, The Mummy, The Boogeyman and King Kong! I know it's a lot of shades but how can I narrow it down when it's about DG??? :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are gong to have so much fun playing with those colors!

    ReplyDelete