Sunday, November 24, 2013

Review & Swatches: Chequered Lily Apothecary *PIC HEAVY*

I purchased this.


Chequered Lily Apothecary has been on my radar for a while, but I didn’t pay too close attention to them simply because I'd only heard the name, but never seen anyone use their products. Then, in late-October, I saw Swedish Beauty Junkie’s swatches of some of Chequered Lily’s eyeshadows, as well as their names.  Not only am I a sucker for pretty colors, but I’m a sucker for specific types of marketing ploys, and when products are named after geeky things I love, you can be sure I’ll whip out my wallet ASAP. In this case, it was the Neil Gaiman- and David Bowie-inspired names of some eye shadows (Neverwhere; Snow, Glass, Apples; Jareth 2.0) that drew me in, leaving me with the inexorable desire to throw my PayPal account in Chequered Lily Apothecary’s general direction.

I ordered a set of ten eye shadow samples. It’s a custom set, so I was able to select each of the ten colors. A set of ten samples is $5.50 plus $1.50 for U.S. shipping, for a total of $7, which is a really good price.

I ordered late at night on October 26. The package shipped on October 30, and I received a nice email giving me a heads up that the package was on its way and I should be on the lookout for a bright green envelope. On November 1, I found that bright green envelope in my mailbox and held it in my hands for approximately one-eighth of a second before ripping right into it.

I opened that sucker so quickly that I failed to stop and take pictures or even note the packaging. If I recall correctly, all of the sample baggies were wrapped neatly in paper…but to be honest, that could have been the other product order I received in my mail on the same day. Either way, I can tell you I was not unhappy with the packaging! The samples came with a business card that indicates all of the places where Chequered Lily has an online presence.


I received the ten eye shadows I had ordered: Haunted, Monster's Bride, Pharaoh's Curse, The Labyrinth, Haute Cocoa, Dead Men Tell No Tales, Snow Glass Apples, Fireflies, Samhain, and Snake Charmer. In addition, the shop owner also included two additional samples of her choosing: Penny Arcade and Cast No Reflection.

Now I’ll get to the nitty gritty of this post – the swatches!

All photos were applied over Darling Girl Cosmetics’ Glitter Glue and taken at differing angles in direct sunlight.

I took two sets of photos so the swatches wouldn't be cramped together. This is the first six. 

Top row, L-R: Cast No Reflection, Dead Men Tell No Tales, Haunted
Bottom row, L-R: Fireflies, Haute Cocoa, The Labyrinth

Top row, L-R: Cast No Reflection, Dead Men Tell No Tales, Haunted
Bottom row, L-R: Fireflies, Haute Cocoa, The Labyrinth

Top row, L-R: Cast No Reflection, Dead Men Tell No Tales, Haunted
Bottom row, L-R: Fireflies, Haute Cocoa, The Labyrinth

L-R: Cast No Reflection, Dead Men Tell No Tales, Haunted

L-R: Fireflies, Haute Cocoa, The Labyrinth

Following is the second set of six swatches. 

Top row, L-R: Monster’s Bride, Penny Arcade, Pharaohs Curse
Bottom row, L-R: Samhain, Snake Charmer, and Snow Glass Apples

Top row, L-R: Monster’s Bride, Penny Arcade, Pharaohs Curse
Bottom row, L-R: Samhain, Snake Charmer, and Snow Glass Apples

Top row, L-R: Monster’s Bride, Penny Arcade, Pharaohs Curse
Bottom row, L-R: Samhain, Snake Charmer, and Snow Glass Apples

L-R: Monster’s Bride, Penny Arcade, Pharaohs Curse

L-R: Samhain, Snake Charmer, and Snow Glass Apples


Five of the twelve colors I received that I find to be either significantly enhanced or dramatically different when applied over a black base--Haunted, Fireflies, Penny Arcade, Snake Charmer, and Snow Glass Apples. 

I used Tick:Tock Cosmetics Infinity Eye Shadow Base in Black Hole under these swatches.

Top row, L-R: Haunted, Fireflies, Penny Arcade
Bottom row, L-R: Snake Charmer, Snow Glass Apples

Top row, L-R: Haunted, Fireflies, Penny Arcade
Bottom row, L-R: Snake Charmer, Snow Glass Apples

Top row, L-R: Haunted, Fireflies, Penny Arcade
Bottom row, L-R: Snake Charmer, Snow Glass Apples

L-R: Haunted, Fireflies, Penny Arcade

L-R: Snake Charmer, Snow Glass Apples

I really like the formula. I think the eye shadows are smooth, well-blended, and easy to apply. The colors are very rich from their strong pigmentation.

While I like most of the colors I chose, my favorite color by a mile is Fireflies. It is an ultra-sparkly duochrome, with bits of super fine, flakey-like sparkles mixed in with the eye-safe micro-glitter. I also adore the rich hues of Snake Charmer and Dead Men Tell No Tales, along with the glowing sheen of Snow, Glass, Apples. The only color I didn’t like is Penny Arcade, but I think it was significantly improved when applied over a black base. 

Chequered Lily Apothecary has a new fan! Chequered Lily’s prices are quite reasonable, the shipping is speedy, and the quality of product is excellent—especially considering the relatively low price.

I am very happy with this purchase and can’t wait to do a few looks with my new eye shadows. I hope to post the first one within the next day or two. 

4 comments:

  1. great swatches, some really lovely colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cin. I don't branch out to new companies very often, but I'm sure glad I did with this one!

      Delete
  2. what gorgeous swatches, I'm particularly drawn to the greens. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nina! Green is my least favorite colors in general, but I adore both of the greens I picked from Chequered Lily.

      Delete