Sunday, December 8, 2013

Swatches: Fyrinnae Winter 2013 Collection

I purchased this.

Fyrinnae recently released their Winter 2013 collection, which consists of seven new loose shadows, one new powder blush, and one new Lip Lustre. I was excited to see some different types of winter colors in this collection, instead of the bright greens, golds, and reds we often see with holiday collections.

I purchased each of the items in sample sizes, knowing that if I decide I want a full size, Fyrinnae will still have them on their site as long as they're selling--they don't release and then quickly continue their collections the same way most other indie cosmetics companies do, which is really nice.

Following are the color descriptions from Fyrinnae's website:

  • Because Cats Loose Shadow - A wine-grape violet layered on a dark base, sprinkled with a rainbow of sparkle.
  • Boot Season Loose Shadow - Multi-faced green, somewhere between sage and pine on a soft dark base, and graced with hues of brown and rust. 
  • Fireside Interlude Loose Shadow - Molten bright copper? Metallic gold on red? You decide. It is a firey, warm blend of hues with a metallic finish, and will appear differently depending on how it's applied...great for "sunset" looks. 
  • Frostbytes Loose Shadow - Striking metallic deep silver. Not sparking like our Chrome, but more of a liquid metal. Too bright to be called pewter, but deeper than sterling. 
  • Peppermint Vodka Loose Shadow - Lush, rich, shimmering burgundy enhnaced with copper sparkle. 
  • Sled Puppies Loose Shadow - Gleaming, shimmery transparent white gold graced with a touch of light blue sparkle. 
  • Snowboarding Loose Shadow - Vibrant purple which sometimes appears cool with a blue hue, sometimes it's more warm. Other times it just sits in the middle, undecided. No sparkle, but a fine shimmer finish. 
  • Nordic Angel Powder Blush - Vibrant pinky-peach blush. Not as bright or orange-toned as Enchant. 
  • Winter Romance Lip Lustre - Rich, velvety dark red. Not leaning maroon like Dragon's Blood, this sultry shade should suit most skintones. This shade is shimmer-free (we call that matte, but the Lustres do have shine).


The Fyrinnae Winter 2013 collection is photographed and swatched below.

Top row, L-R: Because Cats, Boot Season, Frostbytes
Middle row, L-R: Fireside Interlude, Sled Puppies, Snowboarding
Bottom row, L-R: Nordic Angel blush, Winter Romance Lip Lustre


Top row, L-R: Because Cats, Boot Season, Frostbytes
Middle row, L-R: Fireside Interlude, Sled Puppies, Snowboarding
Bottom row, L-R: Nordic Angel blush, Winter Romance Lip Lustre

Top row, L-R: Because Cats, Boot Season, Fireside Interlude
Middle row, L-R: Frostbytes,  Peppermint Vodka, Sled Puppies, Snowboarding
Bottom row, L-R: Nordic Angel blush, Winter Romance Lip Lustre
  
Top row, L-R: Because Cats, Boot Season, Fireside Interlude
Middle row, L-R: Frostbytes,  Peppermint Vodka, Sled Puppies, Snowboarding
Bottom row, L-R: Nordic Angel blush, Winter Romance Lip Lustre

Top row, L-R: Because Cats, Boot Season, Fireside Interlude
Middle row, L-R: Frostbytes,  Peppermint Vodka, Sled Puppies, Snowboarding
Bottom row, L-R: Nordic Angel blush, Winter Romance Lip Lustre

L-R: Because Cats, Boot Season, Fireside Interlude
(Check out the pretty sparkle in in Because Cats!)
  
L-R: Frostbytes, Peppermint Vodka, Sled Puppies, Snowboarding
  
L-R: Nordic Angel blush, Winter Romance Lip Lustre

As always with Fyrinnae, everything is top-notch quality. Each of the colors is highly pigmented with deep, rich color.

I did have a bit of trouble applying both Sled Dogs and Snowboarding. Sled Dogs has a pebbly consistency similar to some MAC pigments and Morgana Cryptoria's semi-loose eye shadows. I have worn Sled Dogs twice this week in addition to swatching it for these photos, and I had trouble blending it out each time I use it. Snowboarding didn't apply color consistently when I swatched it, but I think that could be because I swatched it over Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy, and part of the PE may not have become appropriately tacky yet. I will be trying this color in a look soon, and will have a better idea then of how the color comes through.

Despite my slight trouble blending it out, my favorite item from this collection is Sled Puppies. I actually thought I'd like it the least, in part because I went dog sledding a few years back, and it's cold and miserable the dogs were actually pretty gross and aggressive, so I had some negative connotations with the name. Also, I thought it was just another yellow-white highlighter color to add to the collection of a hundred similar highlighter colors I already have. However, it's truly a unique color and I have nothing else like it. Fyrinnae calls it a white gold, but to my eyes, it's more of a gilded light cream. Fyrinnae also claims there's a hint of blue sparkle, but try as I might, I can't detect any blue sparkle. Maybe that's due to my aging eyes--I'm having trouble seeing tiny detail. I'm fairly certain I'll be using this a lot, and may need to order a full size of Sled Puppies.

I also love Because Cats. The name, the color, the sparkle--what's not to be giddy about?! I can't wait to use this one in a look.

As for the blush and Lip Lustre, I'm glad that Fyrinnae finally released a blush that is, for me at least, more wearable than their other blushes. I was hoping they'd make something very similar to this color, and I really love it. It's not my favorite peachy-pink blush, but I do like it, and I love that it's matte, since I have a love affair with matte blushes. I also really like Winter Romance Lip Lustre. It's the most wearable red among Fyrinnae's Lip Lustres, but nothing unique among my extensive collection of red lippies. I do like how it wears (it lasts, no bleeding, no drying out my lips), but I probably won't buy a full size.

My least favorite item from this collection is Frostbytes. If there's ever a silver in a cosmetics collection, you can pretty much count on it being my least favorite color. I'm also not quite sure what to do with Fireside Interlude. It's a gorgeous, intense rust shade, but it may be a little too intense for me. I'm going to have to play with it and see!

Do you have any of Fyrinnae's Winter 2013 collection and if so, what are your favorite items? If not, do you plan to buy any of them? 

5 comments:

  1. I reaaaaally want to see Winter Romance on you! I love you in red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't own any Fyrinnae (*gasp* I know). Someday... But Peppermint Vodka looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great swatches! My favorite in this collection is definitely Winter Romance <3

    ReplyDelete