Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Review: Maybelline Pumped Up! Colossal Waterproof Mascara

I purchased this.

I needed a new mascara. After getting some input from others and researching online, I decided to try Maybelline's Volum' Express® Pumped Up! Colossal Waterproof Mascara in Classic Black.


Here's a little history behind why I decided to try a new mascara after years of being a loyal user of Benefit's They're Real! mascara since it was first introduced.

I have "National Geographic" eyelashes (i.e., they point straight down!) and found that with a good eyelash curler and They're Real! mascara, my lashes were full, long, and stayed curled all day long. However, about six weeks ago, my eyelashes started straightening back out as soon as I applied mascara. It doesn't matter if it was They're Real! or the numerous other mascaras I own (thanks to Sephora for all the samples I've gathered up with various orders.) It doesn't matter if I prime my lashes first, heat my lash curler, wiggle the wand at the base of my lashes to keep them from being top-heavy, or even lightly re-curl them after the mascara dries. No matter what I do, within minutes, my lashes come crashing down to their natural, point-straight-down position.

I consulted the ladies in a makeup group I'm in online, and the consensus seemed to be that waterproof mascara will keep my lashes curled and in place all day. I decided to go ahead and try a waterproof mascara, since I've tried all the other tips and tricks for keeping my lashes curled. Even though I've preferred higher-end mascaras for years and years, I decided to start the experiment with a less expensive, drugstore brand to make sure the waterproof concept works to keep my lashes curled. That way, if it didn't keep my lashes curled, I would have only spent $8 or $9 rather than $18-$25.


My nearest drugstore didn't have the Maybelline Colossal Waterproof mascara, but they did have the newer version, Pumped Up! Colossal Waterproof mascara. I don't have a clue what the difference is, but it was only $8.49 for 0.32 fl oz (a lot less than the $23 I've been paying for 0.3 fl oz of Benefit's They're Real! mascara) of the Pumped Up! Colossal, so I picked it up.



Maybelline's website claims:

Our biggest mascara brush with the double curved stem delivers a double shot of mascara. Smoother formula with double the collagen plumps without clumps.
Why You'll Love It - Pumped up volume up to 16x with the first double shot brush that scoops up an extra shot of plumping formula for the most pumped up volumizing lashes ever.
For Best Results - Sweet the double shot brush from root to tip for instant volume and bigger lashes. 

Here's what the mascara wand with the double curved stem looks like. I have no idea how the curve of a stem can improve a mascara, but then, I'm hardly a mascara expert. 


This is what the "double shot" brush looks like. Once again, I feel a little clueless about mascara, because after looking closely at this brush, for the life of me I can't figure out what Maybelline means by "double shot."


This is what my lashes look like naturally, without any curling or any mascara. 



This is what my lashes look like when I've curled them, but not applied anything to them.



These are my lashes with one coat of Maybelline's Volum' Express® Pumped Up! Colossal Waterproof Mascara.



These are my lashes with two coats of Maybelline's Volum' Express® Pumped Up! Colossal Waterproof Mascara.


You can see there's a big difference between my "before" point-straight-down lashes and my "after" lashes with the Pumped Up! Colossal mascara. They are fuller, longer, and definitely have a nice curl. They give my lashes what they need without looking caked on or spider-leggy. What's best is that the curl lasts absolutely all day long! There is absolutely no clumping, flaking, or anything else unpleasant with this mascara. It is rocking my world right now! It even holds up well in the water.

Here are pictures of what my lashes looked like after about six hours of wear, including time spent in the pool, with plenty of water that got onto my face.



After being in the water, they did lose a bit of length, volume, and curl, but there was absolutely no smudging at all. When I got out of the pool, I still had mascara on, didn't have even the remotest hint of a raccoon eye, and still enough mascara on to frame my eyes and keep them looking fresher than they would without any mascara at all.

I use coconut oil to remove stubborn eye makeup, so that's what I've used to remove this waterproof formula. It removes quickly and easily with a little cotton oil on a small cotton ball, sliding cleanly off the lashes and my skin, leaving zero dark residue behind.

The final verdict is that I love this mascara and am sticking with it. I'm quite surprised that I found a mascara I love on my very first attempt at a waterproof mascara. I'm also surprised that it's a drugstore mascara that I'm going to stick with, since I haven't worn drugstore mascaras on a daily basis since I was a teenager.

Do you have a favorite mascara and if so, what do you love about it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment