Saturday, August 2, 2014

Swatches & Review: Kat Von D Monarch Palette

I purchased this.

A couple of months ago, I went to Sephora to return something, and had every intention not to get suckered into buying anything. 

Okay, I'll give you all a minute to get the laughing out of your systems. 

Yeah, you know how it works: I walked through the store, intentions intact, and on my way out, and saw the Kat Von D Monarch Palette. Any misguided sense of willpower I'd previously had completely vanished when I set eyes on this beauty.

I'd seen pictures of the Monarch Palette online and thought it looked pretty, but I already have so many neutral palettes, that I didn't ever even put it on the lowest end of my wish list. However, when I saw it up close and personal, I had to stick my grubby little fingers all over the test, and once I felt how silky soft the shadows are, how highly pigmented they are, and how stunningly beautiful every single shade is, well... I had to have it.


Unfortunately, I picked this up during during an extremely busy season at work, so I couldn't find time to get "real" photos of the palette before using it, although I'll also admit I couldn't wait very long before digging into it. The day I bought it, I did quickly snap a couple of iPhone photos that I joined in a collage and uploaded to my Instagram page. The iPhone photos are not the best quality, but provide a little idea of how pretty this palette is. The top photo is the outside of the palette. It is by far the most beautiful palette I own--the color scheme, the design, it's just so rich, beautiful, edgy, and well, I've run out of adequate adjectives, so I'll say "swoonworthy" and then stop trying to describe it.

The bottom photo in the collage is the one snapshot I got of the palette before I used each shade.

Below are swatches of each of the colors in this palette. This first photo was taken indoors with flash.

Top row, L-R: Entomology, Telepathy, Tiny Death, Wrath
Middle row, L-R: Papilio, Summerfly, Killing Jar, Delaney
Bottom row, L-R: Vanish, Disintegration, Shadow Box, Deadhead

This second set of swatches was taken in indirect sunlight without flash.

Top row, L-R: Entomology, Telepathy, Tiny Death, Wrath
Middle row, L-R: Papilio, Summerfly, Killing Jar, Delaney
Bottom row, L-R: Vanish, Disintegration, Shadow Box, Deadhead

There is not one single shade in this palette that I don't love. However, if you put a gun to my head and made me pick favorites, I'd likely have to pick Telepathy, Papilio, Killing Jar, Delaney, and Disintegration. It makes me feel like I'm being unfaithful by not listing every single shade in this palette!

Since I bought it, I have reached for this palette regularly, although I'll admit that sometimes, it's just to look at the astonishingly gorgeous packaging. I use every shade in this palette regularly. While it was definitely an impulse purchase, it's not one I have once regretted and doubt I ever will. 

The Kat Von D Monarch Palette is $46 and you can buy it at Sephora

This palette has been available for a few months at this point. Have any of you picked it up? What do you think of it? 

6 comments:

  1. lovely swatches! Yes, we've all experienced the idea of going into Sephora and walking out empty handed....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great idea in theory. Too bad it doesn't happen that way. Sephora definitely knows how to get me every single time!

      Delete
  2. oh goodness... the more reviews I read, the harder it is to resist!!! And yes, I know the feeling of entering a sephora and leaving with more than I anticipated.... The best is when you think you're only there for 1 thing and leave with a haul of products!

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always go in with a specific list and try not to get other things, but it's so hard to resist all the pretty things!

      Delete
  3. Killing Jar and Wrath are probably my favorite colors from this palette. I think "swoonworthy" describes the palette perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a goooorgeous palette! I hope you have it. :)

      Delete