Monday, September 29, 2014

Review: Born Pretty Store - Lomeau Eyeliner Pencil & Matte Velvet Long Lasting Lip Gloss

PR sample.

I was given the opportunity to test and a review two more makeup products from Born Pretty Store. The products I choose to review are:


The products were mailed from Asia and arrived in just about one week. They were securely wrapped in layers upon layers of cushioned wrap and arrived in perfect condition. 


Lomeau Eyeliner Pencil


The website says this is an eyeliner pen, but it's definitely a pencil. I chose to try it in the shade #6, because it appeared to be a pretty olive-toned green, and I have nothing else like it.

This eyeliner pencil is a twist-up pencil that is retractable. Shade #6 is an olive green, but it's more of a blackened olive-green with gold tones. It's a very pretty shade, and it has very subtle shifts in the light.




Here is a look I did using no eyeshadow, just a little bit of mascara and this eyeliner. The first photo was taken in natural, indirect sunlight, and the second photo is taken with flash, so you can see the difference in appearance depending on the light source.

photo taken in indirect, natural lighting

photo taken with flash

Pros:
  - This pencil is really pretty and the color is very complex.

  - This pencil is quite soft and it's very easy to apply without any tugging or pulling on the eyelid.

  - The pencil comes in 8 different colors and the price is quite reasonable at $3.72 each.

Cons:
  - This pencil is advertised on the website as a pen, but it's actually a pencil. The photos on the site do show that it's a pencil, but this could be confusing for some customers.

  - This pencil is advertised on the site as waterproof, which it most definitely is not. After I took the photos of the above swatches, I ran my hand under water, and while the water did not remove the pencil, it smudged terribly afterward, and I was able to easily wipe it off my hand with just water and no soap or makeup remover.

  - This pencil does not set, even with a light dusting of translucent powder on top of it. Within minutes, the pencil had transferred from my lash line to my crease. This may not be an issue for someone with "normal" eyelids, but I would definitely not recommend it to someone whose lids are hooded or partially hooded.

  - Because this pencil does not ever fully set, it smudges very easily. If you were to touch your eyes, the pencil would quickly transfer to your fingers and your face.


Me Now Generation II Long Lasting Lip Gloss

I chose to try this product because it is advertised as a Waterproof Matte Velvet Lip Gloss. I've been enjoying trying the various matte lip products that are currently on the market, and thought it would be nice to compare this product to what I've already tried. This product has great reviews on the website, so I thought it was worth a shot. I chose #2 and #8, which both seemed like pretty colors. #2 looked like it would be a light brown-based pink and #8 looked like it would be a pretty raspberry shade.

L-R: #8, #2

L-R: #8, #2

Here are swatches of the two matte velvet lippies taken in direct sunlight:

L-R: #8, #2

This is a photo of #8 on my lips taken in indirect, natural lighting. It is the pretty raspberry shade I hoped for, but it's not as deep in tone as the website swatches show. It's still very pretty.


This is a photo of #2 on my lips taken in indirect, natural lighting. It's a brown-based pink, but is significantly lighter than I expected it would be based on the website swatches. I still really like it, and think it looks great with my skin tone.


Pros:
  - This product is very easy to apply. It comes with a doe foot applicator and it's easy to get a clean, precise line and full coverage.

  - It dries down almost instantly. It only takes a moment to fully set.

  - Waterproof? Oh yes, it absolutely is. Once it sets, it doesn't budge. The color does not come off when I drank water or coffee, and it only came off slightly as I ate. After eating, I would need to touch up, but wouldn't need to apply again until I ate again. I was able to get 4 hours of wear from this, and could probably get much longer wear if I didn't eat.

  - Unlike a lot of matte lip products, this one does not feel drying at all on my lips. It has the faintest hint of a sticky feeling about it, but does not need to be worn over balm and I did not need to scrub down my lips first before wearing it.

  - There are 36 color options available. There are three different listings on the website. Colors numbered 1-12 are here. Colors numbered 13-24 are here. Colors numbered 25-36 are here.

  - At only $3.55 each, these are an absolute steal compared to some of the other matte lip products being sold on the market currently. They are a great value.

Cons:
  - The website labels these as "Waterproof Matte Velvet Lip Gloss Long Lasting Lip Pencils." This description is not entirely accurate, as this product is neither a lip gloss nor a lip pencil. They are most definitely a matte lip cream. This could be confusing for some customers if they're expecting a gloss or a pencil.

  - The colors shown on the website aren't entirely accurate. They're close, but not true-to-life.

  - Once it sets, it doesn't budge. Yes, I know I put this under the "Pros" section, but it is so very, very difficult to remove that I had to also put it under the "Cons" section. It does not remove with makeup wipes. It does not come off with makeup remover. I tried soap and water and a washcloth and was only able to get a bit of the color off. Finally, I took some heavy-duty lip balm and applied it on top of the color, letting it sink in for a few minutes, then wiped it off with a paper towel, and the color came off, but there were still tiny little traces on my lips--not enough to bother me, but enough that it might bother some people.


Summary

I really do like the color of the Lomeau eyeliner pencil, and I like how easy it is to apply, but because it is not waterproof as advertised and because it transfers and smudges so easily, I cannot recommend this product

I love the Me Now Generation II Long Lasting Lip Gloss (that's actually a waterproof velvet matte lip cream). I definitely recommend this product and currently have my eye on #22 and #28 and may pick them up for myself.  Even though I know I have to keep in mind that the tone of the color may not be represented true-to-life, for $3.55 each, I feel like I won't be too disappointed if I don't get exactly what I thought I was getting color-wise, and I have no doubts that what I do get will be pretty. 

Born Pretty Store is giving a 10% discount to their store to all of my blog readers! Please click on the banner at the top of my right sidebar, and use discount code SKG10.


Do any of the velvet matte lip creams appeal to you? What do you think about the color selection? 

2 comments:

  1. Those lippies look super pretty! I need to try these out, I have a hard time getting any lip products to stay put on me.
    The liner is really gorgeous too. ^_^

    ReplyDelete