Saturday, September 27, 2014

Review: Eddie Funkhouser Quattro Variable Lash Mascara

PR sample.

Cosmetics brand Eddie Funkhouser recently won the HBA Global 2014 International Package Design Awards for their Quattro Variable Lash Mascara. To celebrate their news, Eddie Funkhouser sent some bloggers complimentary tubes of this mascara. I was lucky enough to receive one, and was very excited to try it.



So what is the Quattro Variable Lash Mascara? Here's the description from the insert they sent me:

The award-winning QUATTRO VARIABLE LASH MASCARA features our revolutionary FX DIAL for a customizable application from natural to extreme lashes--like having 4 mascaras in 1. With each click, the unique flexible brush twists for a more intense dose of mascara, coating each individual lash with super black pigment for maximum length, volume and curl. The conditioning formula features an innovative blend of waxes and polymers that create fullness without flaking, clumping or smudging.



Eddie Funkhouser Quattro Variable Lash Mascara comes in a tube with 7 ml / 0.2 fl. oz. of product in it. It is available in one color, Absolute Black. The cost is $12.99 on the Eddie Funkhouser website.

This mascara wand is unlike any I've personally seen. The wand has a dial at the top of the cap, which you can set to any of four settings, from one dot (lowest) to four dots (highest), to create four different lash effects.

The first setting lengthens and separates for a natural look.

The dial is set to one dot, the lowest setting.

This is the wand set to one dot.


The second setting enhances fullness and curl.

Two dots indicates the second setting. 

This is the wand set to two dots.


The third setting boosts lash density and extends lashes.

Three dots indicates the third setting. 

This is the wand set to three dots.


The fourth setting amplifies lashes for ultimate length, volume and curl.

Four dots indicates the fourth--and highest--setting. 

This is the wand set to four dots.

The insert I received from Eddie Funkhouser provided Eddie's Insider Tips:

Tip 1: Curl lashes prior to application for maximum curl and lengthening effects.
Tip 2: Apply one coat at a time and allow each coat to thoroughly dry prior to each additional coat.
Tip 3: For maximum fullness and definition, set the dial to the single dot position and apply one to two coats of mascara allowing each coat to thoroughly dry prior to each additional coat.
Tip 4: Then turn the dial to the four dot position and apply another coat of mascara for maxed our fullness and length.

This mascara sounds pretty awesome! Now the question is, "Does it work as described?"

These are my naked eyelashes. I am wearing no makeup whatsoever, but I did curl my lashes, as suggested in Eddie's Insider Tip 1.


This is what my eyelashes look like after applying one coat of Quattro Variable Lash Mascara set to the one dot position, as suggested in Eddie's Insider Tip 3.


I really like the blackness of the mascara and the natural look I get from the single coat. I feel like it adds definition to my lashes and lengthens them. There is no clumping, no smudging, and no flaking. The mascara feels really nice on my lashes--it's almost weightless, and has a "barely there" feeling.

The next step is to follow Eddie's Insider Tip 4 and, after allowing the first coat to dry thoroughly, turn the dial to the four dot position and apply another coat of mascara.

That is when this happens:


At the four dot position, the amount of mascara that goes onto my lashes is too heavy for my lashes, and weighing them down and pulling out all of their curl. It makes my eyes look sad. There is a very minimal amount of clumping, which would probably be resolved by pulling a metal lash comb through my lashes.

This mascara does not smudge or flake at all throughout the day. I've used three different methods of removal at night (liquid eye makeup remover, makeup remover wipes, and oil) and the mascara came off easily with each removal method.

I have tried this mascara three times and had the same results each time. While I love this mascara on the first setting, the fourth setting is too much for my lashes. I will continue to use this mascara and use it on the lowest settings, but can't use it on the higher settings as it doesn't work with my eye lashes. While it doesn't work well for me on the higher settings, it might work really well for others, since everyone is different and different products work better for some people than for others.

I should add that if Eddie Funkhouser were to release a waterproof version of this mascara, I would buy it in a heartbeat, because my eyelashes never loser their curl with waterproof mascaras, and I do love the feel of this mascara on my lashes, and I love how pitch black it is, and I love that it doesn't flake or smudge.

What do you think of this unique 4-in-1 mascara design? Is it something you would like to try? 

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to play with the funky wand, but I'd it didn't deliver if be annoyed thatI just bought something for the funky wand! It's a very interesting concept though!

    ReplyDelete