Monday, November 3, 2014

Bonnie Lass Beauty Wire-Wrapped Icelandic Stone

I usually post about makeup, but one of my other great loves is jewelry. I especially love handmade earrings and necklaces. This post is a bit different, because it's about jewelry, not about makeup, and I want to feature a very, very special piece.

In September, I had the most amazing opportunity to visit Iceland. It was a dream come true, and I had the most wonderful time there. I actually went by myself, and couldn't wait for some much-needed solitude in a place brimming with natural beauty. It exceeded my wildest dreams, and I'm so glad I went alone, although I now desperately want to return and share the experience with my husband.

Reynisfjara, near Vik, in Myrdalur, South Coast, Iceland

Anyway, on to my story... one of the most wonderful memories I have of my time in Iceland was the morning I spent wandering around on a black sand seashore called Reynisfjara. While the sand was black, there were also huge swathes of perfectly rounded and smoothed stones along the beach. I picked up a few stones that called out to me, and I brought them home with me as a memory of that absolutely perfect morning wandering around on the South Coast of Iceland in peace and solitude.

I posted a photo of the stony beach on Instagram at one point, and one of my Instagram/Facebook friends, @bonnielassbeauty (aka Sarah) asked if I brought any of those stones home with me, and offered to wire wrap one and make a pendant of it as a memento of my amazing trip. I sent her one of my favorite stones, and this is what I received in the mail:

pendant - front

I can't get over what an absolutely exquisite job Sarah did of wire-wrapping this stone. It's so professionally and beautifully wrapped with oxidized copper and strung on a gray suede cord. I feel like the work she did with it perfectly matches my memories of the beautiful day on Reynisfjara beach.

pendant - back

While this is a one of a kind piece, and there are no more available like it, I did want to show you all, in case you have something special -- a stone or otherwise -- that you would like wire wrapped. Sarah at Bonnie Lass Beauty can create a similar custom piece that's perfect just for you. Shoot her an email at bonnielassbeauty (at) yahoo (dot) com to place a custom order. Also, be sure to check out her Storenvy shop, Bonnie Lass Beauty, to see what other pieces she currently has listed for sale.

held in my hand--this gives an idea of its size

wearing the pendant

I am so grateful for this gorgeous piece of jewelry that Sarah created for me. It was a special stone to start with, but the fact that I now have a beautiful necklace that I can wear for the rest of my life to remind me of the most amazing place I've ever visited... well, it's just incredibly special to me. It's the most special memento I can imagine to remind me of a lifelong dream come true, an amazing solo journey, and my experiences in one of the most beautiful places on earth, and I will treasure it forever.

Reynisfjara, near Vik in Myrdalur, South Coast, Iceland

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful memento from a special trip and a special friend! It's stunning.

    ReplyDelete