Saturday, January 10, 2015

Review & Swatches: ColourPop Shadows & Lippie Stix

I purchased this.

I pretty much took the whole month of December off from blogging, even though I hadn't intended to. It was such a crazy month! I did treat myself to some really fun makeup things during the holidays, and one of the brands I was most excited about is ColourPop.  I've seen so many great reviews and swatches of ColourPop's shadows, Lippie Stix, and lip pencils, and they've been on my wishlist for quite some time. At $5 each, it's hard not to splurge a little!


I picked up 13 ColourPop Shadows, one lip primer, one lip pencil, and four Lippie Stix, although I only meant to buy three (I mistakenly ordered two of one of the Lippie Stix). I have swatches!

First up are swatches of the lip pencil, primer, and Lippie Stix.

L-R: Lumière lip pencil, Lumière Lippie Stix, Flawless Lippie Stix, LBB Lippie Stix, and Lippie Primer

The swatches below are in the same order as the photo above. From left to right: Lumière Pencil, Lumière Lippie Stix, Flawless Lippie Stix, LBB Lippie Stix, and even the Lippie Primer (although it's clear, so you can't see it against my skin).

Photo taken with flash

Photo taken in sunlight

The Lippie Stix are really phenomenal. They're highly pigmented, soft, creamy, and very easy to apply. The Lippie Pencil is also highly pigmented, soft, creamy, and easy to apply. I'm amazed at the incredibly high quality, especially since they cost only $5 each! The staying power on me is as long as a good quality lipstick like MAC or Illamasqua.

Here are some photos of each of the ColourPop Lippies on me, each applied over the Lippie Primer.

Lumière Lippie Stix over Lumière Pencil.

Flawless Lippie Stix

One thing to note about Flawless Lippie Stix is that it's an almost exact dupe of MAC's Rebel lipstick. I swatched the two side-by-side (no photos, my apologies!) and the difference was barely perceptible. I would say the only difference is that Rebel is slightly more satiny, whereas Flawless appears slightly more matte, although it still has a satin finish. So if you're looking for a much less expensive, cruelty-free version of MAC Rebel  lipstick, give Flawless a try!

LBB Lippie Stix

Of the three colors I bought, I think LBB is my favorite. I find that when worn over a burgundy lip liner, it looks even deeper and vampier. They're all gorgeous colors. Lumière is too light for my typical taste in lip colors, but I actually really like it, and with the right eye makeup and clothes, I think I pull it off pretty well for such a light, mauvey-nude shade.


Next up are the ColourPop shadows I bought. YOU.GUYS. O.M.G. These shadows are amazing!!! The packaging is incredibly high quality, and that alone makes me wonder how on earth ColourPop sells these amazing shadows at only $5 each. I'd gladly pay twice as much, and they could probably sell at a much higher price point, because they're really, really high quality.


The shadows have a strange sponginess about them that reminds me of the Maybelline Bouncy Blush texture. They are very soft, creamy, and spongy, but apply like a highly-pigmented powder. Whether I'm applying them using my finger or a makeup brush, they go on like butter, and practically blend themselves.

Top row, L-R: Amaze, Cricket, Girly, Krinkle
Middle row, L-R: La La, Lace, Lovely, Mittens, Piper
Bottom row, L-R: Sequin, Smash, So Quiche, Truth


Photo taken in sunlight.
L-R: Amaze, Cricket, Girly, Krinkle 

Photo taken with flash.
L-R: Amaze, Cricket, Girly, Krinkle 

In the next two photos, you'll see two smaller swatches on the far right. That's because Piper is a marbled pigment with distinctly different shades. The full size swatch of Piper is a swipe across the top of the entire eyeshadow. The small swatches to the far right are representative of what I got when I tried to swatch only the lightest color (top) and only the darkest color (bottom) of the marbled pigment.

Photo taken in sunlight.
L-R: La La, Lace, Lovely, Mittens, Piper, Piper (light shade only - top), Piper (dark shade only - bottom)

Photo taken with flash.
L-R: La La, Lace, Lovely, Mittens, Piper, Piper (light shade only - top), Piper (dark shade only - bottom)

Photo taken in sunlight.
L-R: Sequin, Smash, So Quiche, Truth

Photo taken with flash.
L-R: Sequin, Smash, So Quiche, Truth

It's very easy for me to pink a single favorite--So Quiche is hands-down my favorite item from this entire ColourPop order. Sadly, I was completely unable to capture its amazingness in my photos. ColourPop describes it as "a soft olive with a highly reflective gold and pink violet glittery duo chrome metallic finish." Yes, it is that, but it's so much more! I sweear there are brown and purple undertones in it, and the pink sparkles are just so pretty against the golden olive that it takes my breath away.

Other standouts that I've been using regularly since I got this order are La La, Sequin, Cricket, Lovely, Amaze, and Girly. Although it's true that I really do love every single color...except for Mittens. Mittens is a good, matte shade, but it's just a little too reddish of a brown for me, and will be the one I reach for the least.

All in all, I'm highly impressed with ColourPop. Everything about this order was awesome, from the low prices, ease of the website, accuracy of website swatches, speed of shipping, incredibly thorough and secure packaging, and the incredibly high quality of the products. I will be returning to ColourPop for more, I'm sure of it.

Do you own anything from ColourPop? What are your favorite colors, or what colors would you like to get? 


4 comments:

  1. Great swatches! I don't own any Color Pop yet but if I ever have any extra money again I will for sure place an order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great swatches, and the Lumiere looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to make Leather lipstick my first CP purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Quiche and Krinkle are my favorites so far. I have been eyeing Sequin and I Heart This.

    ReplyDelete