Sunday, April 26, 2015

Swatches: Hourglass Modernist Palettes - Exposure and Obscura

I purchased this.

During Sephora's recent VIB sale, I bought two of the Hourglass Modernist Palettes. They've been on my wishlist since they first came out. From everything I've read and heard about them, it seems like people have a love/hate relationship with these palettes; they either love them and are thrilled to have them, or they hate them and returned them. There are a lot of reports of heavy fallout, yet other reports of no fallout if you apply them correctly (by patting instead of sweeping on the shadows.) I figured I'd give them a go and see what I think of them for myself.


I couldn't narrow it down to just one, so I double-splurged and bought Obscura (Earth Tones) and Exposure (Plums). They are just so pretty I could hardly bear to break into their gorgeous, perfect surfaces!

Left: Exposure; Right: Obscura

I swatched both palettes over Urban Decay's Eden Primer Potion. First up is Exposure. 

Exposure palette shades, L-R:
Champagne, Aubergine, Bronze, Black Violet, Lilac

Exposure palette shades, L-R:
Champagne, Aubergine, Bronze, Black Violet, Lilac

Exposure palette shades, L-R:
Champagne, Aubergine, Bronze, Black Violet, Lilac

The Exposure palette was the first of the two that I swatched, and I will admit, I was disappointed. They were difficult to apply, even when patting instead of sweeping the shadow on and the amount of fallout and loss of product is shameful when you're paying a premium for what should be quality eyeshadows. Aubergine was by far the worst, followed by Black Violet. No matter what I did, they are patchy and impossible to even out. Champagne, Bronze, and Lilac also had tons of fallout and weren't the easiest to apply evenly, but with a little work, I was able to get full, even swatches I think the colors are absolutely gorgeous.

Next up is the Obscura palette.


Obscura palette shades, L-R: 
Cream, Smokey Brown, Rose Gold, Coffee, Cool Bronze

Obscura palette shades, L-R: 
Cream, Smokey Brown, Rose Gold, Coffee, Cool Bronze

Obscura palette shades, L-R: 
Cream, Smokey Brown, Rose Gold, Coffee, Cool Bronze

I was happy to discover that the shadows in the Obscura palette had much less fallout and were significantly easier to apply. I had the tiniest bit of trouble getting an even swatch of Smokey Brown--it does look a little patchy in the photos, but "in real life," it looked smooth and even. The other shades all applied smoothly and evenly. Rose Gold and Cool Bronze both applied like an absolute dream. It was harder to tell with Cream since it is so incredibly close to my skin tone that I can barely see it against my skin...which means it'll make a perfect brow bone shade, naturally!

I now wonder if the love/hate reviews I'm reading have to do with which palette people purchased. I am really unimpressed with Exposure, and am strongly leaning toward returning it. Obscura however... Obscura is a palette of my dreams, full of gorgeous earth toned browns and golds that are so pretty and right up my alley. I can't wait to use them on my face and will be posting pics here when I do!

What do you think of the Hourglass Modernist Eyeshadow Palettes? Have you tried any and, if so, which ones, and what were your experiences with them? 

2 comments: