Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Review & Swatches: Espionage Cosmetics

I purchased this.

A few weeks ago, I attended Denver Comic Con. One of my besties, Wendi from Makeup Zombie blog, drove up to Denver with her husband and another friend. We spent the day wandering around Comic Con, which was an absolute blast. I had read that Espionage Cosmetics was going to be vending there, so I told Wendi I wanted to seek out their booth and check out their makeup. I've heard good things about Espionage Cosmetics for a couple of years now and have wanted to try their products, but just never seemed to get around to it, so I was excited to find their booth at the Con and start playing with things!

Espionage Cosmetics' owner, Jaimie, helping a customer at their Denver Comic Con booth.

Espionage Cosmetics is an indie company that makes mineral makeup, lip serums, nail wraps, and a modicum of bath/body products.  They carry all sorts of fun, random schwag, too. Their products are predominantly inspired by nerdy and geeky things; hence, their tagline: "Nerd Make-up, It's a thing."

By the time I hit up the Espionage Cosmetics booth, I'd already blown my wad over at the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab booth, so I couldn't spend as much as I would have liked. I found dozens of eye shadows I wanted and the most adorable Doctor Who nail wraps, as well as other odds and ends that were super cute. Despite seeing so many things I wanted to buy, I limited myself to five eye shadows: E.V.P., Josephine Baker, Clockwork, Riveting, and Tokyo Rose. I also bought a "Glitter Is The New Black" pin.

Each jar of eye shadow is shrink-wrapped for protection and includes a sealed sifter for a highly professional and clean presentation. I removed the shrink wrap prior to taking this photo. 

Top, L-R: E.V.P., Josephine Baker
Bottom, L-R: Clockwork, Riveting, Tokyo Rose

Top, L-R: E.V.P., Josephine Baker
Bottom, L-R: Clockwork, Riveting, Tokyo Rose

Each of these eye shadows blows me away in person. They're richly pigmented, are full of awesome sparkle, and have a really nice formula that leads to smooth, even, and easy application.

Following are Espionage Cosmetics' descriptions of the colors I purchased, interspersed with my swatches.


  • E.V.P. - Can you feel the presence of something awesome? This chilling black with pumpkin, gold, highlights is sure to speak to others of how awesome you are. Obviously. 
  • Josephine Baker - How do you fit a bad ass story of rags to riches to espionage to fighting Nazis and racism into a single color of awesomeness? We're still working on it. In the meantime, this shimmering color does its best to live up to the super spy's "Black Pearl" nickname. The dark shades of cocoa swirl with iridescent green for a deadly color you don't want to mess with. 


L-R: E.V.P., Clockwork, Josephine Baker, Riveting, Tokyo Rose


  • Clockwork - There is no color description for Clockwork. 
  • Riveting - There is no color description for Riveting. 


  • Tokyo Rose - A legendary enigma of World War II, Tokyo Rose was once the perfect ruse for female spies and now lives on as the perfect rouge, or eye shadow, or lip color, whatever suits your spy fancy. with the innocence of pink bubblegum and a powerfully distracting sparkle, this pink is anything but under the radar of awesomeness.

L-R: E.V.P., Josephine Baker, Clockwork, Riveting, Tokyo Rose


The depth and complexity of these colors doesn't come through in these swatches. Tokyo Rose, for example, has an amazing lightly iridescent shift that is the reason I bought it--it's unlike any other pink shade I've seen. Riveting is a stunning and complex olive green with loads of sparkle. Josephine Baker is one of the prettiest brown-green-teal shade that is so uber-complex and shifty that I can't even describe how stunning it is in person. I will be posting some looks soon using my new Espionage Cosmetics eye shadows. (For swatches of a couple of these colors plus some other shades, visit Makeup Zombie's post on Espionage Cosmetics.)

Wendi/Makeup Zombie & Jaimie (the Espionage Cosmetics owner) at the Espionage Cosmetics booth.


My favorite shades are definitely Josephine Baker and Clockwork, but I love each one that I bought. When I was at the Espionage Cosmetics booth, my hand was covered in swatches of a multitude of gorgeous pigments. I had a really hard time narrowing my selection down to five and I am happy with the shades I chose. I will absolutely be back for more!

Espionage Cosmetics eyeshadows are $7.50 each, or you can buy them in themed four-packs for $25 - $35 each, depending on the collection. In addition to eye shadow collections, there are a variety of bundles at varying price points that include serums, nail wraps, eye shadows + nail wraps, etc.

Wendi and I spent a long time talking to the owner, Jaimie, of Espionage Cosmetics. Not only is she beautiful and have amazing hair, but she's really smart and nice and easy to talk to. We really enjoyed the conversation we had with her, and I came away highly impressed by her business ethics and her general philosophy about being a predominantly web-based indie makeup company.

I highly recommend Espionage Cosmetics eye shadows. They are high quality pigments, packaged cleanly and professionally presented, the website is really easy to navigate, and the owner, Jaimie, is a friendly and professional business owner. I will be back for more--hopefully soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment